We have been using carbonized wood on our house with the help of Alberta Innovates Technology Futures. So, we are in full swing with the testing of workability, durability, and colour change over time. I made a couple of test-bed wood decking squares to see how certain finishes will take to the wood over the course of the year. Robert from AITF has been extremely helpful in pulling all of this together and coming by to test the colours with a light spectrometer. It only runs on Windows 95- and we only have a large, honkin' CPU and have to haul it all over the house where we are testing different locations for colour. I think I sourced a laptop- which will hopefully make this a whole lot easier...
|I used four different types of finish on the test bed.|
|From left to right: acrylic latex paint, Behr Super Spar clear varnish,|
a board left natural, polyurethan, varathane finishes.
|So far, I think I like the Behr finish.|
|Here's our testing set-up. It ain't fun haulin' this around the house.|
|Robert in action.|
|It's a tight squeeze on one of our stair landings.|
We used carbonized wood for the landing since
construction and it hasvbeen in place for almost a year!
|Robert in action, again!|
|Exterior wood decking - this one will see direct|
|This wood decking square will not see direct sunlight,|
as it is shaded by the guardrail.
|One of my new chores: brushing off the PV modules when the snow|
sticks to it!