Building a home with the intent of reaching a net zero energy balance and low environmental impact as much as possible in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Friday, April 8, 2011
Some work to do after pre-drywall blower door/thermal scan...
Searching for weak spots.
Found a cold spot!
Cold spot behind some I-joist blocking.
We finished the poly vapour barrier installation- just after the blower door tester walked into the house today. Overall, it seems like the house is fairly tight. And very well insulated. When the house was de-pressurized by the activated blower installed in the door, the "certified energy evaluator" walked around with a thermal camera to show any weak spots. We found a bunch. The windows- and poly seal with tuck tape around them was the biggest culprit. So were the places were we used scrap pieces of insulation- rather than fresh/perfectly cut pieces. The blower door seemed to suck air right through the pieces of insulation. Wiring and pipe penetration were also obvious week spots, as were the I-joists and blocking that sit on top of the foundation wall. So, we went around with a red pen and marked all the locations that we need to re-visit. *Sigh* More work to do with that red sticky tape and acoustic sealant.